Eye fatigue can be an amalgamation of different reasons affecting our lifestyle. One such example is that in modern days we get strained eyes due to our work environment as the nature of our work is now limited to desk work involving a lot of screen watching and no physical movement or exercise. This and many other factors can be responsible for increasing your risk of weak eyesight, blurred vision and lead to deteriorated overall health.
Exposure to Ultraviolet Rays
- Extensive exposure to harmful UV rays of the sun puts us at risk for major eye diseases like cataracts, and abnormal growths.
Wearing Old Contact Lenses
- People who wear contact lenses should have a strict routine of ensuring their hands are always clean when they’re handing their contact lenses.
- They should also ensure that the lenses or the solution they use aren’t past their expiry date.
- Infections and diseases can often arise when we do not take care of our contacts.
Rubbing Your Eyes
- It might seem counterintuitive but rubbing your eyes actually increases the chances of damaged eyesight rather than providing relief.
- When we rub our eyes a lot, we spread dust and bacteria into them which can lead to vision problems later on.
Using Expired Eye Makeup or Products
- A lot of people often forget to check the expiry date on eye makeup or products they use on a daily basis.
- Using expired eye makeup or products can cause a lot of damage to our vision.
- Aside from being really bad for your general health, smoking can also cause a lot of vision issues.
- Cigarettes increase the risk of age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, and diabetic retinopathy.
Staring at a smartphone all-day
- Staring at a digital screen all day puts a lot of strain on our eyes and can lead to weak eyesight.
- Computer Vision Syndrome or Digital Eye Strain has become an issue in today’s world as technology has become a core part of our lives.
Skipping your annual eye exam
- Regular eye check-ups are our first line of defence against vision problems.
- Diseases like glaucoma can be caught early during regular check-ups and its damage can be limited successfully.
- Skipping your annual eye exam can have a massive impact on the health of your eyes.
Relying on redness drops
- Eye drops that reduce redness in the eye can be really great but using them too much can have negative impacts on our eyes.
- These eye drops function by constricting our blood vessels and an over-reliance on them can cause damage in our eyes in the future.
To help you reduce eye fatigue and relax your eyes at work, below are some of the exercises which promise to improve eye health. The best thing about these eye exercises is that they don’t take much time, require no equipment and are easy to do.
Listed below are 5 simple exercises that can strengthen your eye muscles:
The Palming Exercise:This exercise is to relax your eyes and take away the stress. It is a short break where you cover your eyes with the cup of your palm and fingers on the forehead. Do not put too much pressure while placing your hands on your eyes. This exercise will help you rest your eyes and mind and take away the stress from your daily routine while working.
The Blinking Exercise:It is the epitome of laziness if someone needs to be reminded to blink their eyes. When working with digitized media and poorer attention spans, blinking becomes a lost practice. Blinking is an exercise good for tired, itchy and dry eyes. Blink your eyes rapidly for about 5 seconds. You will feel immediate relief from the symptoms.
The Roll your Eyes Exercise:You are required to be seated comfortably. It is a 2 minutes exercise. Firstly roll your eyes in a clockwise direction while keeping your eyes open and then anti-clockwise. Do it slowly, trying to stretch the eyes as far as they can go. This exercise will make your eyes feel relaxed. Do this exercise for about 2-3 minutes and you would be able to focus much better.
The Hot and Cold Compresses:Take a bowl of cold water and hot water. Dip one end of towel or washcloth in each bowl. Then put hot compress first over your eyebrows and eyes respectively. Savour the warmth for at least 5 seconds and then move on to cold compress and let it there for 5 seconds. Do this routine at least 5 times.
The Focus Shifting Exercise:This is another very simple exercise which can help in strengthening the weakened eye muscles. To start, focus on a nearby object for about 5 seconds. Then move on to distant objects and focus on it for another 5 seconds. This sporadic shifting gives strength to the eye muscles and refreshes them too. Initially, you might find shifting focus with your eyes quite difficult as your eyes have become lazy. As you continue doing this day after day, you will find it much easier to do. Focusing on one object strengthens eye muscles and it improves concentration power. This is one of the natural ways of improving the strength of your eye muscles if you remember to change focus and move your eyes to encourage relaxation.
Tips For A Good Eyesight
When was the last time when you took time out to give your eyes the care they need? Do you notice the number of hours you sleep? Do you take eye massage within weeks? Is your intake of nutrients good enough to keep your vision healthy?
Here are some things you should do to keep your window to the world healthy:
Take eye-exam at regular interval:One should undergo a comprehensive eye exam every year. It should be done even if you don’t counter any issue with the eyes. Many eye-ailments don’t have noticeable symptoms. People don’t realise till the time their eye-condition starts hampering their regular life. Many people don’t realise that their eyes are in dire need of corrective lenses. So, taking an eye examination is the best solution to keep a check on your eye health.
Remain aware of your family history:Numerous eye diseases are genetic. It becomes vital to be mindful of the eye-conditions that have been prevalent in your family. Prevention is better than cure. Hence, if you take measures to prevent your eyes from any genetic ailments, thereby securing yourself from getting into some serious condition.
Keep a check on your health:Diabetes or family history of diseases puts your eyes into increased risk. Take necessary precautions so that the illness of the body doesn’t hamper your vision in any way. Take advice from your doctor on all the measures.
Wear sunglasses:Damaging UV rays of the sun not only tans your skin but harm your eyes also. Don’t forget to wear sunglasses to block out both UVA and UVB light.
Sleep, eat healthily and take eye massage:Follow a 30-second beauty regime to de-stress your eyes. Gently tap out a circle around your eyes with index and middle finger. Tapping helps in bringing blood flow to the area. Press firmly upward at the pressure points under the brow bone. Massage your temples to finish. Relax.
Eye-care tips for office
Most of us work in offices. There are many influences in workplaces that can cause discomfort to your eyes. Indoor heating, extended digital screens, air conditioning, bright lights can take a toll on your eyes over time.
Here are some ways by which you can keep your eyes in top shape while you’re working:
- Blink regularly during computer use
- Fit an anti-glare screen to your computer
- Change the display setting of your computer. Adjust the brightness of the screen according to the light conditions at the workplace
- Follow the 20-20 rule. Take a break from your screen every twenty minutes for at least twenty seconds.
Centre for Sight was established with a mission to provide the best quality of comprehensive eye care with a personal touch. It has gradually established itself as the best eye hospitals in India, where a team of skilled and experienced doctors who have profound knowledge of the best and latest surgical and diagnostic technology offer successful treatments. We cater to all sorts of eye care services and surgeries like LASIK eye surgery, specs removal operation, Blade free Cataract surgery, Glaucoma, retina treatment, Squint treatment, Keratoconus treatment and more. LASIK eye surgery, specs removal operation is performed to improve the vision.